The Ultimate Garage Door Maintenance Checklist
Your garage door might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about property maintenance. However, it’s wise to remember that garage doors take up a significant portion of your home’s exterior.
Your garage doors play a massive role in increasing the value of your property. After all, it’s one of the first things people see when they look at your home.
Though most garage door systems last for several decades, they require regular maintenance to keep working and looking like new.
That’s why today, we’re listing our ultimate garage door service checklist to ensure proper maintenance.
Inspect the Operating System
Your garage door opens and closes multiple times a day. This process is bound to wear out the operating system.
That’s why it’s vital you inspect the operating system every few months. We recommend that you inspect your garage doors during seasonal changes because weather can impact the operating system.
Here’s what you should do:
- Check the front of your garage door every 4-6 months to inspect for any blistering, fading, or cracking that might occur from seasonal changes. It’s also a good idea to look for mold, dents, or gaps to ensure moisture doesn’t enter your garage.
- Inspect if your door opens and shuts properly without any problems. Listen for any loud noises when you use the remote to open it. We recommend getting a professional if the door doesn’t open or opens slowly.
- Check the door’s balance because off-balanced doors put extra pressure on the automatic opener. We recommend you get a professional if the door isn’t balanced.
Check The Moving Parts
Your garage door consists of various intricate components that enable it to operate smoothly. Here’s what you should look out for:
- Inspect the cables on the garage’s bottom rollers first, as they are under a lot of tension. However, we recommend you don’t touch it and call a professional if you discover any damage.
- Check the hinges for any excessive wear or damage. If they need replacement, call a professional immediately.
- Look at the rollers at the edge of your garage door as well as the brackets holding them. If they need replacement, call professionals due to the bottom rollers being under tension.
Wash The Doors
Any dirt or debris on your garage doors can affect your property’s curb appeal. Moreover, proper cleaning will also help your door last longer. Here’s what you should do:
- Inspect your weather stripping for mold.
- Wash the debris off the panel of your door.
- Clean the dirt and debris from the tracks. You might have to replace them if the debris is stubborn.
- Touch up with a coat of paint if the door has several scratches.
Your garage door needs regular maintenance to keep up your property’s appeal. If you need help with garage door repair or installation, try our services today!
At Your Garage Door Guys, we operate as a commercial and residential garage door service that provides replacement, and repair, garage door installation in Oakley.
Contact us today to learn more.